COVID-19 Update: Our practice is operating with our normal business hours. Social Security disability hearings are currently held by telephone. You may stay home and speak to the judge on the telephone. To schedule your consultation contact (410) 433-4040 or complete the Contact Form on this page.

Family Violence and Your Social Security Number

The Social Security Administration may help you if you are a victim of family violence. In order to reduce the risk of further violence, you may have chosen to leave an abusive situation, to relocate, and to establish a new identity.

The Social Security Administration does not routinely give new Social Security numbers. But, it will give a new Social Security number if you give evidence to show you are being harassed, abused, or your life is endangered.


In order to obtain a new Social Security number, you must apply in person. You may apply at any Social Security office. You will need to bring the following to the Social Security office when you apply for a new number.
  • Original documents establishing your:
    •     U.S. citizenship or immigration status;
    •     Age;
    •     Identity;
    •     Evidence of your legal name change if you have changed your name;
  • Your current Social Security number; and
  • Evidence documenting the harassment, abuse or endangerment.
If you have custody of any children and ask for new Social Security numbers for the children, you will need to have original documents showing you have custody of the children, as well as documentation of the age, identities and U.S. citizenship of the children.


Third parties, such as the police or medical personnel provide the most useful evidence of abuse. A report from one of these sources should describe the nature and extent of the harassment, abuse or endangerment of life. You may also present a restraining order from the court, and letters from friends, family, counselors, shelters, or others who know about the violence or abuse. The Social Security Administration will assist you to obtain any additional evidence needed.


You may contact the Social Security Administration online at You may also contact it toll-free at 1-800-772-1213. The toll free number is answered from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. There is also automated information available 24 hours a day.

If you are deaf or hard of hearing you may use the Social Security Administration's TTY number, 1-800-325-0778.

Your calls to the Social Security Administration are confidential.

There is also a National Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799 SAFE (7233).
(TTY) 1-800-787-3224.